The Amazing Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate You Didn’t Know About
Most of us know that dark chocolate has some incredible health benefits, including lowering your blood pressure, increasing your good cholesterol and even decreasing your risk of stroke and heart attack. But there are some lesser-known health benefits of dark chocolate that are still pretty great! Here are five amazing health benefits of dark chocolate you may not have known about before.
Lower blood pressure
1. Lower blood pressure- Flavanols found in dark chocolate have been shown to lower blood pressure. Research from Harvard Medical School has shown that these flavanols can improve vascular health, which can lead to a reduction in high blood pressure levels.
2. Reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases- It’s not just high blood pressure that dark chocolate can help with; it also reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Researchers believe this is due to the fact that flavonoids increase the production and activity of nitric oxide, which helps relaxes your muscles and make them more flexible, thereby reducing your risk for heart attack and stroke.
3. Lower risk of type II diabetes: One study published in The Journal of Nutrition found that consuming between 3 to 4 ounces (80 grams) of dark chocolate per day led to a 22% lower chance of developing type II diabetes over 12 years. The researchers suggest this is because flavanols may decrease glucose release into the bloodstream after eating as well as improve insulin sensitivity.
4. Increased cognitive function- Another health benefit of dark chocolate is its ability to boost cognitive function. In one study done on elderly people, participants who ate up to 10 grams of dark chocolate each day showed improvements in mental functions such as attention span and short term memory.
5. Reduced inflammation: Another way that dark chocolate could improve your health is by lowering inflammation throughout the body. Studies show that antioxidants found in cocoa powder could be effective at reducing oxidative stress within cells, which leads to reduced inflammation, healthier cells and tissues, better immune system functioning and reduced damage done by free radicals when they interact with cells inside our bodies.
Improve cholesterol levels
It turns out that dark chocolate is one of the most powerful foods on the planet when it comes to improving cholesterol levels. Here are the health benefits of dark chocolate that will great surprise you:
1. Improve your heart health
2. Lower your risk for stroke
3. Promote weight loss and reduce obesity risk factors
4. Increase your HDL (good) cholesterol and reduce total cholesterol levels
5. Protect against dental cavities
When the cocoa powder comes into contact with saliva, an enzyme in saliva called amylase breaks down starch in the cocoa powder into sugars, which can cause tooth decay. However, many brands of dark chocolate have a higher percentage of cocoa solids than usual, which means less starch. The amount of sugar in each piece also plays a role; so look for dark chocolates with a low glycemic index such as Lindt Excellence Extra Creamy Dark Chocolate or Cocoasweet Original Pure Organic Cacao Powder
Protect your skin from the sun
If you want to protect your skin from the sun, then it is a good idea to eat some dark chocolate. It contains flavonoids and procyanidins which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties that help heal your skin. Plus, it has an antioxidant property that protects your cells from free radicals that cause aging. And last but not least, it is full of antioxidants which fight against cancer causing substances. So next time you’re about to head out into the sun, remember that eating some dark chocolate can actually be beneficial for your skin! Eating dark chocolate can boost your brain power: If you want to improve brain function, one way to do this would be by consuming more polyphenols in our diets. Research suggests that polyphenols such as anthocyanin’s and proanthocyanidins found in cocoa beans may boost memory and improve overall brain health.
Boost your brain power
Studies have shown that dark chocolate might help you lose weight. One study found that people who ate a chocolate bar felt more full than those who ate a granola bar. But it doesn’t stop there! A recent study also found that eating 100 grams of dark chocolate every day can lead to a loss in body fat and an increase in muscle mass. So if you’re looking for an effective way to lose weight, try incorporating some dark chocolate into your diet! It tastes good, so there’s no reason not to give it a shot. Here are five health benefits of dark chocolate
Help you to lose weight
For centuries, chocolatiers have been whipping up decadent, sweet concoctions that are tempting to many but not so healthy for our waistlines. However, what many don’t know is that dark chocolate is actually good for you and can help you lose weight! Here are five health benefits of dark chocolate that will great surprise you -Helps your heart: Dark chocolate contains cocoa and flavonoids which both help lower your blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels.
-Improves brain function: The flavonoids in dark chocolate can stimulate the production of nitric oxide in the brain, which helps improve cognitive function.
-Coffee replacement: Drinking a cup of hot cocoa on a cold winter day does more than just satisfy your cravings for something warm and delicious. It also provides caffeine without any negative effects like jitteriness or anxiety!
-Prevent cancer: The flavonoids found in dark chocolate work as antioxidants which prevents cell damage caused by oxidation and thus could prevent cancer cells from developing.
-Prevents Alzheimer’s disease: One of the main causes of Alzheimer’s disease is oxidative stress on the brain cells. Flavonoids can help reduce this oxidative stress, thus preventing Alzheimer’s disease and other age-related illnesses.
-Good for digestion: Did you know that dark chocolate has been shown to boost gut health? Studies show that it increases mucin secretion in stomach lining which protects against bacteria sticking to it. Thus, it promotes better digestion!